Friday 12 November 2010

Book Blogger Hop, 12/11/10

Book Blogger Hop


Last week, in addition to setting the Hop question, Jen challenged us to really follow the blogs we "follow," to visit at least one new blog regularly and comment on their posts. I also took the opportunity to put a bit more commitment into some of the blogs I already read, rather than just adding a huge list of sites that I will only skim-read. I was surprised to discover that following bloggers on Twitter helped me to follow the sites themselves, by getting to know another side to the reviewers and also highlighting when a new review was up.

It would have been impossible to read and comment on every post of every blog on my "follow" list, but below are just a few that are deserving of the extra attention. Please check them out if you haven't already.

New (to me)
Blogs I already followed


This week's question:
"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"
Yes, at least, usually. Crime novels are an exception, as because of their shape they are usually stand-alone novels connected by a set of characters. There may be continuing subplots with their personal lives, but you don't feel left out if you haven't read the previous books. Other series tend to be made up of volumes of the same story, rather than completely individual books. When I was younger I used to read books out of order, such as my Enid Blytons and Chalet School series. I found that the school stories would make reference to the events of a previous book, that when I got around to reading first-hand, I had imagined for myself how things had happened. I wasn't always satisfied with the author's account after that.

8 comments:

  1. Hi there...stopping by via the hop. I have to start at the beginning and it's only on rare occasion that I don't. My full answer can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I feel like a crime series is more of a stand alone kinda thing probably why I prefer those.I am a new follower and I look forward to seeing your upcoming reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Good point about crime novels - they usually can stand alone. I don't read a lot of adult crime and mystery, but Dan Brown's (Angels & Demons) books can be read in any order. Thx for the shout out too! Appreciate it!

    Hope you come by and see my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have found you via the Hop! I can't read books in a series out of order no matter what genre they are. I miss too much that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie! I just found your blog via the hop and I'm now your newest follower! I'm also going to follow on twitter because I too find t easier to keep up with blogs that way. Looking forward to reading your reviews!

    Here's my blog if you'd like to check it out! Daisy Chain Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just stopping by trough the hop. Wonderful blog! Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. New follower. I read one of the Chalet School books once that I picked up in a used shop or library, but could never find any others. They're not around the US much.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...