Tuesday 8 May 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite book quotes

Note: These are just ten of my favourite quotes from books, not the ultimate top ten of all time, because that would be impossible. 


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


"The point is," said Crowley, "the point is. The point is." He tried to focus on Aziraphale.
"The point is," he said, and tried to think of a point.
 "The point I'm trying to make," he said, brightening, "is the dolphins. That's my point."
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

"I am inclined to think --" said I.
"I should do so," Sherlock Holmes remarked, impatiently.
The Valley of Fear - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Is it sad to fancy David Tennant when you're dead?
Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger

"The planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

“The house smelled musty and damp, and a little sweet, as if it were haunted by the ghosts of long-dead cookies.”  
American Gods - Neil Gaiman 

"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him." 
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - J. R. R. Tolkien. 

“I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible.” 
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen 

 “Anne had no sooner uttered the phrase, "home o'dreams," than it captivated her fancy and she immediately began the erection of one of her own. It was, of course, tenanted by an ideal master, dark, proud, and melancholy; but oddly enough, Gilbert Blythe persisted in hanging about too, helping her arrange pictures, lay out gardens, and accomplish sundry other tasks which a proud and melancholy hero evidently considered beneath his dignity. Anne tried to banish Gilbert's image from her castle in Spain but, somehow, he went on being there, so Anne, being in a hurry, gave up the attempt and pursued her aerial architecture with such success that her "home o'dreams" was built and furnished before Diana spoke again. ”  
Anne of Avonlea - L. M. Montgomery 

"Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade." 
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way-- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

6 comments:

  1. I don't remember that Sherlock Holmes quote, but I love it :) I also don't remember the David Tennant quote, but I love that too! I really need to reread Her Fearful Symmetry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote from PoA. Snape's wit is just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how just reading a quote from a much-loved book can make you laugh and smile and feel all nostalgic for the words that have brought you joy over the years... Love your list!!

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love EVERY SINGLE ONE of these quotes. It's made me want to reread all the books I've already read, pluck down all the books I already have on my shelves, and run out to buy the ones I don't. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes, I especially like the one from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are quite good! I like the one from the book I participate in. the one from the hitch-hikers' guide to the galaxy is quite good too!

    ReplyDelete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...